Monday, November 13, 2006

Someone give that set designer a raise.

If you saw the movie "Lucky Number Slevin," raise your hand. Hopefully, this will make you look batshit insane in your cubicle. Hey, while you're at it, start cooing like a pigeon. Congratulations! You're the crazy person at the office.
But I digress.
The film was decent at best, and the plot was leaking cliche, it was so full of holes, but I was rapt the whole time. In fact, I want to rent it again. Am I Lucy Liu's biggest fan? No. I spent the entire two hours totally agog at the amazing vintage wallpaper. Check it:

It's graphic. It's lurid. The floral print is sickly oversized and surreal. Also, Lucy Liu looks rather fetching in a miniskirt, which helps.
Here's another wall with equally appealing paper:

Please try to ignore the romantic subplot. The real party is in the background.
As I recall, there were some other amazing, non-floral papers featured in the film, as well, but unfortch, there are few stills online that don't feature Josh Hartnett's rippling abs. Not the sort of eye candy that interests this girl.

Anyway, I have a renewed obsession with vintage wallpaper, now. After trolling the interweb for awhile, I came across this amazing, eccentric Aussie designer, Florence Broadhurst. After making a name for herself as a singer and painter, she made a foray into the world of wallpaper design in 1959. The results are breathtaking - large-scale, ostentatious, unapologetic. Check out her work at Signature Prints You can even buy textiles and paper there, and if you do, I will bake you cookies, because you will be my new hero.
A couple favorites:

How sexy would these horses be stampeding through your parlor? (No, I don't have one of those, either.)

This Japanese floral reeks of Auntie Mame's parfum. In a good way, ya know. It's probably Mitsouko by Guerlain.

Can you imagine how gorgeous this mod print would look with some rustic, organic forms juxtaposed against it? Think fallen branch furniture, driftwood, barn beams.
For more sexy wall coverings, go to these places:
Timorous Beasties
Flavor Paper
Twenty2
Palace Papers
Walnut Wallpaper - there's Geoff McFetridge wallpaper here!!!1
Oh, the design has gone and made me all hot and bothered. Need a cold shower.
Cheers to crappy film noir and crazy Aussie designers.

No comments: