Friday, January 11, 2008

On my honor, I will try

Like many young girls, I was Brownie. No, not a chocolately confection, silly, but a Girl Scout in training, dressed like a short, skinny cafe latte and armed to the teeth with a sashful of badges. It was a blissful time. My mother was the troop leader. We whittled sticks together. No one cared that we had to say "God" in the pledge. We learned about wildlife. Thin mints.
Imagine my joyous nostalgia, then, when I spied the following at the Chelsea Flea Market:

The Brownie Handbook instructs that the pin remain inverted until the scout performs her Good Deed of the Day. Once her civic duty is completed, the Brownie may reattach the pin right-side up to indicate that her title is well deserved.
It also makes for a nifty accessory.
For two dollars, you can't beat that with a whittled stick.
New pins available online at GirlScouts.Org

No comments: